Although the actions of many of the natural home products available for inflamed skin are not supported with good clinical trails, a number of preparations are available with potential beneficial effects.
- Aloe Vera - Pure Aloe Vera has some Antibacterial activity and is very Soothing. Some women with PCOS have reported a big improvement from dabbing the pure gel on their acne every day. It is also renowned for healing burned skin and helping scars, so can be used on old acne sites as well. (Product 61)
- Witch Hazel – Witch Hazel is Cooling and Soothing for angry and inflamed acne. Dab it directly on to all are’s where you usually experience break-outs. (Product 338)
- Essential Oils – Like Tea Tree, Lavender, Lemon, Ylang Ylang, and Bergamot all have Antiseptic and Healing qualities. Great for oily acne prone skins as well as other skin type too. please be aware that essential oils must be used in a carrier oil or water when using them. Lavender can be used neat, but even still use sparingly. (Products 506 Lavender and 507 Lemon)
Super Foods That Brighten The Skin
You are what you eat and if you want to look good and feel sensational, then there are plenty super foods out there that can bring a glow to your skin. Most nutritionists and spas will tell you that looking younger and healthier for longer depends on what you put in your body. Food is just as important as your daily beauty regime.
Check if your body is lacking any of these superfoods and add them into your diet if you want to brighten your skin.
The benefits of Aloe can be traced back through history, but Forever grows, harvests and manufactures the plant through a patented process which has been perfected to produce naturally succulent and high quality aloe. Our famous plain Aloe Vera Gel has been our top selling product for decades and it’s an ideal digestive aid. It also balances the Immune system, Lowers High Blood Pressure, Cholestrol and maintains energy levels. It has vitamins B12, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential amino acids and folic acid. It promotes a good healthy lifestyle and increases a sense of wellbeing.
You probably thought we were going to start off with something exotic. Oats, the kind you get in your daily porridge, are pretty good for your skin (in fact, they’re good for you, period). Full of Vitamins B and E as well as minerals such as magnesium and calcium, oats are a great slow releaser and can give you energy throughout the morning if you have them for breakfast. If you want to have more energy and perkier skin, this should be your first meal of the day. (312 Forever NutraQ10, 464 Forever Fibre)
- Oats Lower Cholesterol Levels,
- Oats And Other Whole Grains Substantially Lower Type 2 Diabetes Risk.
- Oats May Stabilize Blood Sugar.
- Fiber From Whole Grains, Such As Oats, And Fruit Protective Against Breast Cancer.
- Oats May Enhance Immune Response To Infection.
- Oats May Offer Significant Cardiovascular Benefits For Postmenopausal Women.
- Prevent Heart Failure With A Whole Grains Breakfast,
- Unique Oat Antioxidants.
You won’t find a superfoods list anywhere these days without avocado included. There’s some suggestions that it can ward off wrinkles quite well but the flesh is just so packed full of nutrients and antioxidants that you shouldn’t be excluding it from your diet anyway. Great in a salad and even mashed on sliced rye bread, there are literally thousands of tasty recipes that include avocado.
Dark and sweet and great in puddings and salads, blueberries have become popular in recent times because they’re thought to be good for the heart and blood pressure. For those who like a smooth complexion, though, the antioxidants they contain are great for preventing premature ageing so don’t forget to throw a few in your yogurt for elevenses. (Product 516 Blueberry Acai Leomon Joost and 262 Pomesteen)
Keeping your skin moisturised and supple is never easy as you get older. Eating plenty of omega-3 certainly helps and your average fillet of wild salmon has plenty of it. The fish also contains selenium which is good for combating the effects of the sun and ultraviolet waves. There’s some vitamin D in there also, though only a small amount. (Product 206 Forever Calcium, 439 Forever Daily, 354 Forever kids, 375 Vitolize for Women, 473 Argi+ and 355 Forever Immublend)
We know they are good for us but dark, leafy greens such as spinach are also excellent for the skin. They contain loads of vitamins, minerals and omega-3 and should be eaten with every main meal. It’ll also help to keep your iron levels up and give you plenty of energy to boot. (Product 68 Fields of Green and Artic Sea).
Containing lycopene, an antioxidant that has anti-ageing properties, adding tomatoes to your diet on a regular basis is a must. If you want something to firm up your skin in a jiffy too, you can gently rub the surface of a tomato on your face and get an instant lift if you’ve forgotten to get your face mask.
Any fruit or vegetable that has an orange pigment, including peppers and carrots, contain beta-carotene which is a great source for vitamin A. It can help to reduce the signs of ageing and give your skin a boost, making it look firm and brighter.
There are a range of foods that are brilliant for heathy skin and a balanced diet that includes all of the above is a great start. Don’t forget your hydration levels though – it may not be a superfood but drinking plenty of water ensures that your skin stays healthy and you feel great throughout the day. (54 A-Beta-CarE and 235 Forever Vision).